This course will enable you to develop a broad, industry-relevant understanding of information systems, with opportunities to specialise in your individual areas of interest.
Throughout the programme, students will build the skills and knowledge needed to operate as professionals in the field of information systems. During your studies, you will benefit from insight from DMU’s internationally-renowned research institutes, with ethics and the impact of computing and technology embedded within the modules.
Professionalism within an industry context is emphasized throughout, with strong links to BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT. Students are exposed to industry-standard concepts, tools and technologies and explore fundamental underlying principles. Our teaching staff contribute to the field either through internationally-recognised research or industrial consultancy, and many are members of centres that pioneer cutting-edge research.
On graduating from this course, our students are equipped with the skills needed for successful careers in industry or academia, as competent and independent lifelong learners. The programme will prepare you for careers in fields such as business information systems, intelligence analyst and developer roles, data and systems analysis and design, system, security, project and knowledge management and business consultancy.
- The course is delivered in partnership with industry-leaders, enabling you to gain industry-relevant qualifications and skills and benefit from a personal mentoring scheme, preferred placement opportunities with the companies, as well as other professional qualifications.
- Learn from our computing experience built over more than 50 years, a long-standing history allowing you to draw on a wealth of research and academic expertise.
- Computer science and informatics research at DMU was ranked third for its research power among modern UK universities in the latest Research Excellence Framework (2014), which is the system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions.
- Within the Shanghai Global Ranking of Academic Subjects, which lists the top 500 institutions in the world per subject, DMU was ranked within the 151-200 block of top universities in Computer Science. DMU is within the top 25 per cent of all UK universities for Computer Science – including subjects such as Artificial Intelligence and Cyber Security.
- Enhance your employability and gain industry experience by undertaking an optional work placement. Previous students have benefited from placements at leading organisations including HP, Microsoft, Intel Corporation, E.ON, IBM, GlaxoSmithKline and PepsiCo.