The future of the design industry lies in advancing technology and emerging digital techniques. Whether your creative specialism lies in media, products, interiors, exhibitions, fashion or branding and marketing, on this course you will explore and embrace digital and design related technologies in your field.
You can specialise in technologies such as user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) design, mobile app design, e-learning, virtual and augmented reality, 2D and 3D animation, 3D digital printing, digital display and projection design, visual and special effects for TV and film, interactive kiosk and installation design, wearable devices and smart clothing. The course is designed for students with a good working knowledge of multimedia software tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator Flash, Dreamweaver and After Effects, and 3D software such as Autodesk MAYA or 3DMax, providing an opportunity to develop these technical skills to an advanced level.
You will examine the practical skills and the academic theories surrounding digital design methods. We will take you all the way from concept development and prototyping to production techniques and testing. In-depth insight into each stage of the creative production process will be supported by training in project management. This broad base of specialised skills will equip you for wide-ranging creative careers as digital designers, web and app developers, and multimedia production directors, while the understanding you will build of business planning and web presence management will teach you the key skills needed to launch a freelance career.
With us, you will gain real-world experience through live design projects, with the opportunity to collaborate with students from other disciplines. Through your major project (either creative practice based or research focused) you will have the freedom to draw on your learning and respond creatively to your chosen specialism.
Throughout the course we will empower and support you to challenge conventions, experiment boldly, and take risks. Prepare to embrace new ways of thinking and innovative approaches to contemporary design challenges, with a sophisticated suite of devices and industry software and hardware for you to realise your creative visions.
- Expand your horizons by exploring your chosen area of design from a digital perspective, giving you specialist skills in demand by the industry.
- Join a community that is working together to co-design new ways of thinking to redefine the future of creative practice.
- We will prepare you to enter the creative industries at a high level of responsibility or to start your own business as a creative entrepreneur.
- You will be exposed to the latest digital technologies with opportunities to work on live research and commercial projects for companies such as Caterpillar and Sainsbury’s.
- The award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space to foster creative thinking as well as top-class facilities, with a suite of devices and industry software and hardware for app development.
- You will learn from an expert teaching team, who are all active in their own field, and benefit from the insights of visiting lecturers involved in world-class research.