On this course, you can specialise in menswear, womenswear and or fashion knitwear, and will study a range of topics including fashion illustration, innovative concept development, pattern cutting and computer-aided design (CAD) for fashion and design development - preparing you for a career in a creative multibillion-pound industry where you can benefit from countless opportunities to develop, progress and learn new skills.
You will be introduced to the academic, professional, industrial and commercial challenges of design practice. There are opportunities to work with leading brands on live projects, work placements and competition awards, thanks to the course’s unparalleled links with the UK and global apparel industry.
The first year provides grounding in fashion and design through practical, creative and technical classes and projects, while the second year is more focused, with emphasis on experimentation, in-depth project research and 3D development.
You will gain skills such as tailoring and fashion prediction, thanks to the major project in the third year giving you the opportunity to set your own briefs and create a final collection of work to showcase your unique vision and talent, as well as entering national and international competitions. We are delighted DMU was named best in learning experience in 2019 by The Business of Fashion, the internationally renowned website which assesses the world’s top programmes.
- Enjoy opportunities to work on live projects with industry, designed to consider a more sustainable fashion future including collaboration research teams on zero waste pattern cutting and repurposing. Students have recently worked on briefs set by the British Fashion Council, Burberry, Warehouse and New Look.
- Benefit from opportunities to enter prestigious national and international competitions to boost your industry exposure, with previous graduates winning a number of accolades including the Christopher Bailey Gold Award at 25th anniversary of Graduate Fashion Week.
- Talented graduates have recently showcased their collections as part of various fashion weeks and events across the UK and worldwide in destinations such as Shanghai, Mumbai and Hong Kong.
- You will be introduced to the academic, professional, industrial and commercial challenges of design practice. Sustainability is at the core of our curriculum and we will encourage you to become an agent of change by equipping you with a range of tools to work towards a greener and more responsible future. There are opportunities to work with leading brands on live projects, work placements and competition awards, thanks to the course’s unparalleled links with the UK and global apparel industry.
- Gain valuable international experience as part of your studies with our DMU Global programme. Previous trips have taken students overseas to visit global brands including GAP, Burberry, Coach and Joules in New York.
- The award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space and the facilities to foster creative thinking, where ideas can develop and flourish for all of our art and design students.
- We provide core workshop materials at no cost, and give cash awards – £150, £200 and £300 in years one, two and three respectively – to support personal materials/printing costs*.