Journalism and the media play a vital role in democracy, and this course offers the opportunity to pursue a career that’s not only fast-paced and extremely diverse, but also crucial for informing debate and discussion on a wide range of questions affecting people’s lives. You will have the opportunity to contribute to DMU’s own student media group Demon Media, with the chance to produce content for multimedia platforms including a magazine, radio station, YouTube channel and website.
You will study a range of core journalism modules such as Reporting, Critical Perspectives on Journalism, and Issues in Journalism. Your final-year studies will provide the opportunity to prepare a portfolio of your work including any content that has been published during work experience or on Demon Media platforms. Optional modules include Sports Journalism, Magazine Publishing, Arts and Entertainment or Political Communication.
Our Journalism tutors have close links with all forms of news media and have worked for – and continue to work for – many of Leicestershire's newspapers and radio stations. This means our Journalism courses have strong industry links with newspapers and radio stations in the local area. The courses have an excellent reputation both regionally and nationally, allowing our students to win prestigious work experience placements.
Widen your skillset and enhance your employability prospects further by studying Journalism joint with another specialist subject, such as Creative Writing, English, English Language, Film Studies, History, International Relations, Politics or Media.
- DMU is in the top 10 most popular universities in the UK for home and EU students, according to the latest measures by UCAS acceptances (2017).
- Develop your practical and professional skills in our dedicated newsroom within the Leicester Centre for Journalism.
- Gain valuable, industry-relevant experience by contributing to DMU’s award-winning student media group Demon Media, including The Demon magazine, Demon FM radio station, Demon TV YouTube channel and The Demon website.
- Enhance your employability and gain industry experience by undertaking an optional work placement, with your studies helping you to gain places volunteering with local news organisations. This will enable you to forge useful contacts within the industry and provide opportunities to create content for your portfolio. Recent Journalism Joint students have secured Journalism and Editorial internship placements at RootsCo Group Ltd in London.
- You’ll be taught by a team of respected professionals within the industry and academic experts, including former newspaper editors. Their knowledge and experience will inform their teaching and help you to become an effective, professionally qualified, multiplatform journalist once graduated.
- Enjoy an international experience with DMU Global, which can enrich your studies and expand your cultural horizons. Previous DMU Global trips have included New York, Berlin, Hong Kong, China, Canada, Japan, South Africa, Russia and Italy.
The course is available to study alongside Creative Writing, English, English Language, Film Studies, International Relations, Media and Communication and Politics.