On this course, you will develop an advanced understanding of your design practice, and discover how emerging digital technologies can enhance your skill set, in order to take an individual and innovative approach to tackling complex industry challenges.
The MSc programme is tailored for students with BSc degrees or engineering design degrees, so that they can build on their prior technical knowledge. There are no engineering modules on the MSc, instead the broad curriculum has been designed for you to respond to the assessments by applying industrial product design and engineering design principles within concepts, final specification and design. As an MSc graduate, you will have the technical engineering design expertise that will make you ideally placed for industry roles in manufacturing, product and industrial design - or to continue onto further research and development within the industry or by studying a PhD. If you are interested in a Master’s in Product Design, but do not have a BSc degree, you may want to check out our Product Design MA.
The flexibility of the curriculum allows you to create a distinct programme of learning that is focused on your individual interests and ambitions. The taught modules culminate in a comprehensive project within your own specialism, and cover key real-world processes in product design such as external validation, prototyping, testing, technical definition and specification.
With support from our experienced tutors and technical staff, you will develop the commercial skills needed to forge a career as a creative entrepreneur or design industry professional. You will be empowered to experiment boldly and encouraged to take risks, with access to sophisticated industry-standard facilities that will allow you to push the boundaries of design.
- Our flexible learning environment allows you to choose from an impressive range of specialist modules to develop your own personal and professional interests.
- Learn from an expert teaching team, who maintain their professional skill set, ensuring you develop the most relevant skills for a career in the industry.
- Enhance your portfolio, professional standing and employability by developing your understanding of design in the commercial world.
- Join a community that is working together to co-design new ways of thinking to redefine the future of creative practice.
- With an optional year-long work placement you can gain valuable experience to further enhance your practical and professional skills.
- The award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space to foster creative thinking as well as top-class facilities, giving you access to a range of dedicated workshops and a host of specialist equipment.