The Master in Design for Urban Environment trains professionals to take part in the process of urban transformation by designing ideas that help to reinforce the social, cultural and economic fabric of 21st century cities.
This course focusses mainly on the following lines of work: design for sustainable development, social inclusion to empower citizens in the face of social challenges, governance, cooperation, e-democracy, open data and transparency, as well as design to tackle urban mobility issues and contribute to people’s safety. Urban environments are currently facing significant challenges, which calls for professionals who know about the past, understand the present and can anticipate the future to think up solutions in collaboration with their inhabitants and the people in charge of managing them.
The students will be able to work in public/private entities in some of the following areas/functions:
- Lead urban regeneration processes.
- Urban design consultancy.
- Urban design process management
- Conduct studies related to the urban environment.
- Prepare guidance and statements.
- Site and area design and/or mobility design.
- Facilitate collaborative processes for design in the urban environment.
- Visualise and communicate data in urban design processes.
*Credits: The educational planning for all IED Master courses is aligned with the criteria established by the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). The IED Master program adopts a credit structure that follows the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). IED Master only awards its own private degrees.