Discover the compelling field of forensic accounting. This course covers fraud, financial crime and data analysis procedures – invaluable insight used by professionals in the search for criminal activity in both public and private sector organisations. It will prepare you to conduct fraud investigation and give expert testimony and litigation support for public and private sector organisations.
Learn about accounting scandals and incidences of fraud, and find out how they can be detected, prevented and deterred, with study of the legal environment in which forensic accounting operates. Discover digital forensics, including how to investigate digital artefacts, and find out how recent corporate failures in the UK, Italy and USA have led to conversations about the role of corporate governance and corporate social responsibilities.
Forensic Accounting (Applied) MSc
You have the option to study this course one year full-time or two years full-time. The opportunity to study over two years will enable you to source, with the help of our dedicated careers team DMU Works and our expert academics, a three-month work experience in the field. Students have taken up placements in areas such as forensic accounting or counter fraud roles and projects, gaining invaluable real-world experience and an edge in the competitive field.
- The course offers exemption from the Institute of Certified Forensic Accountants' examinations and, for students who have the required three years' practical experience, serves as a direct entry route to the Certified Professional Forensic Accountant certification.
- All key staff are members of the Institute of Certified Forensic Accountants (ICFA) and the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners. This is an endorsement of the high-quality teaching we provide, and further emphasises the alignment of the work of the department within the profession.
- Specialise in forensic accounting. This course is an opportunity for accountants, auditors, allied professionals and other practitioners seeking theoretical depth and practical insights into fraud investigation and litigation support.
- The two-year option offers the chance to engage in a three-month internship, to apply your knowledge in real-world situations.
- “This course has equipped me with relevant tools to explore various forensic accounting issues around the globe. Additionally, I have gained in-depth investigative and analytic skills in conducting fraud and criminal investigations through the study of a combination of relevant modules. The skills developed by studying Forensic Accounting MSc at DMU is unmatched and I would recommend to anyone who aspires to be top notch in this field.” - Patrick Yeboah Kwaye, Forensic Accounting MSc.