Mechatronics covers the integration of mechanical, electronic and intelligent control sub-systems to realise a complete system, which may be a product, machine or process. The multidisciplinary nature of Mechatronics employs design principles, processes, models, toolsets and philosophy unique to Mechatronics Engineers which enable design and development of simpler, more economical and reliable systems. Mechatronics engineers are in short supply, who enjoy highly versatile careers due to their multidisciplinary skills.
The course has a unique balance of key analytical subjects and professional skills, ensuring that you graduate with the confidence to face challenging engineering situations in industry. The management skills necessary to operate successfully as a multidisciplinary engineer in modern industry are promoted and developed at all stages of the course.
The duration of the MEng programme is four years and the BEng programme is three years. At the end of year three you have the option of exiting with a BEng degree or continuing for a further year, subject to meeting the progression requirements for the MEng degree. At the end of year two, you have the option of undertaking a placement year in industry, which will extend the respective programme by a further year.
- Accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE): On behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as an Incorporated Engineer. Students who successfully graduate with this degree may, with the appropriate further learning, meet the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
- Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET): CEng accredited by (IET) and fulfils the educational requirements for Chartered Engineer when presented with an accredited MSc. In addition the programme meets the educational requirements for registration as an Incorporated Engineer
- Enhance your skills with an integrated master’s: This course can be studied as a three year BEng (Hons) or a four year MEng (Hons) degree, allowing you to continue your study with a number of modules at master’s level in year four, to further develop your skills and enhance your employability
- Experienced academic staff: Help you gain a sound understanding of engineering principles along with personal skills that will enable you to embark on a rewarding career
- Dedicated facilities: Including a large, open plan mechanical engineering laboratory designed to accommodate the study of thermofluids, solid mechanics and dynamics; specialist laboratories in material science, dynamics and control, as well as an Engine Test Cell
- Enhance your practical and professional skills: Join DMU Racing, where our students are challenged to design and build a single-seat racing car, which is then tested at the famous Silverstone Circuit
- Get involved in the DMU Electronics Club: Gain experience in further practical electronics, in a structured social and educational club for students from across the faculty. Last year the DMU Electronics Club got a glimpse the edge of space with their bespoke balloon project.
- Work placement opportunities: Enhance your practical and professional skills, with recent Engineering placements undertaken at Cummings, Network Rail and Caterpillar.
- Enjoy an international experience with DMU Global: We offer all students the opportunity to take part in a DMU Global experience, which can enrich your studies and expand your cultural horizons. Previous DMU Global trips have included New York, Berlin, Hong Kong, China, Canada, Japan, South Africa, Russia and Italy to name a few.
“I have developed a wealth or transferable skills and on-the-job training which will help me when I graduate.”
Olutunde Banjo, Mechatronics BEng (Hons)