With the digital era continuing to expand rapidly, the role of computing and its impact on our lives is more important than ever. New and innovative computer technologies are constantly being unveiled, with software engineers, systems developers, programmers and analysts playing a vital role in their creation and development.
Benefiting from more than 50 years of successful teaching, our Computer Science course focuses on modern approaches to software systems development, allowing you to explore both the theoretical and practical skills needed to understand programming language concepts, software design methods, secure web systems, computer architecture and computer networks.
The course prepares you for a wide variety of career opportunities, from programming and developer roles to software engineering, with computer technology closely linked with an extensive range of industries such as medicine, education, entertainment, security and architecture.
- This course is accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, for the purposes of fully meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.
- Our diverse curriculum provides students with an equal balance of theory and practice and is embedded with contemporary technologies designed to tackle modern multi-core platforms.
- Tailor your learning to your career ambitions through a wide range of optional third year modules, including: Secure Web Application Development; Multi-Service Networks; Interaction Design; and Big Data and Business Models.
- You can gain valuable international experience as part of your studies with our #DMUglobal programme. During previous trips, students have gained key insights into San Francisco’s tech industry, while others put their skills to the test at New York’s Spyscape Museum.
- Our Computer Science research is ranked as the world’s joint first for citations to our articles on the Category Normalized Citation Index, meaning you will have access to internationally recognised academics throughout your time at DMU.
- Our graduates have gone on to work for companies such as ITN, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Microsoft, BT, RBS, HSBC, DNEG and Experian.