This course is the result of a unique collaboration between DMU and one of the country’s most respected broadcasters, Channel 4. It will equip you with the specialist skills and knowledge for a successful career in investigative video journalism.
Designed by industry experts, the course addresses skills such as in-depth research, handling complex data, understanding financial information, and working undercover. After a thorough grounding in media law, regulation and ethics, you will receive tuition in various investigative techniques, including using the Freedom of Information Act, data journalism and financial journalism.
You will also be taught how to use specialist camera equipment, and how to plan, shoot and edit your own material with a view to making industry-standard, broadcast-quality journalistic films. This is supplemented by a survey of the academic study of journalism, all of which is intended to help you flourish as a practitioner. The connection with Channel 4 helps the course tutors identify potential work experience placements, and professional mentors for students.
Recent graduates have gone to work as directors, presenters, reporters and researchers with national and international news and current affairs broadcasters, including the BBC and Channel 4.
- Study for an MA that has been endorsed by and developed in collaboration with Channel 4. This means that you will receive industry-standard teaching from expert academics and professional journalists.
- Specialise by studying a course that is solely aimed at producing investigative video journalists.
- Experience a wide range of teaching styles and environments, from traditional lectures and seminars to intensive skills workshops, news days and studio work.
- Choose to independently produce a piece of investigative journalism suitable for broadcast by one of the mainstream outlets as part of your final semester project.
- Benefit from our academics’ extensive experience as journalists, filmmakers, media consultants and producers to develop the skills you need to launch your career.
- Study on a course that is suitable for both established professionals and graduates wanting to break into the field.