Contour Fashion is a huge, established and specialised field within fashion design. It is defined by garments worn close to, or shaping the contours of the human form, including corsetry, lingerie, swimwear, performance sportswear, nightwear and athleisure. The Contour Fashion Innovation MA is ideal for contour graduates with advanced pattern-cutting skills wishing to further their practice, or fashion or textile graduates who want to specialise in contour design.
The course explores creativity, technologies and entrepreneurship, alongside the technical considerations of this complex specialism. Contextual studies into historical, political, social and cultural considerations are at the core of this programme and fuel intellectual curiosity, speculative enquiry, imagination, and divergent thinking to successfully understand design concepts.
During this course, we prepare our graduates to succeed in this competitive and fast-developing industry. Our unparalleled understanding of the sector informs the curriculum and includes loungewear, sportswear and athleisurewear – these specialisms are in high demand following the global shift to remote working which has led to a growth in comfort-inspired, fashion-driven work attire. Marketing and visual communication is examined from the viewpoint of a creative individual, giving you the skills to develop a leading-edge portfolio and the insight into how a contour fashion label might be launched into the market place.
You will learn to take a critical and innovative approach to contemporary global challenges facing designers and businesses, with a focus on sustainable practice embedded throughout.
- Specialist contour design and complex technical skills are explored in depth, considering enhanced aesthetics, fit and production.
- Learn from the founders of contour education with over 70 years of teaching in this evolving specialism.
- Contour boasts a vast global alumni network closely connected to the university. Teaching staff are industry experts and taught methodologies are progressive and industry-relevant.
- We offer a flexible learning experience with the opportunity to tailor modules in line to specific areas of personal interest in line with your career aspirations.
- Guest lectures from leading industry professionals and contour-specific commercial and trade fair visits complement the course.
- The multinational community within the School of Fashion and Textiles creates a supportive learning environment for students from around the world.
- Our award-winning Vijay Patel building has been designed to provide the space and facilities where all of our art and design students can develop their ideas and flourish.
- DMU puts the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the heart of the university’s activities and is a Global Hub for SDG 16, which addresses Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions. Sustainable practice is embedded throughout this programme’s curriculum..