Accredited by the Royal Society of Biology, this research-led course is ideal for careers in the medical and healthcare professions or laboratory science. It integrates scientific research and clinical skills to develop your understanding of the human body in health and disease.
You will be taught by experienced, research-active academics and clinical experts who will present the latest advances in medicine and science, and study a range of topics, including Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Inflammation and Immunobiology, Cancer Therapeutics and Nutrition Through the Lifespan. As the course progresses, you will be introduced to more advanced medical topics, and start to relate the understanding of normal healthy physiology with pathological processes.
You can choose to enhance your employability through an optional sandwich year work placement, allowing you to gain hands-on experience and develop practical and professional skills that you can apply to your learning. Many of our graduates have pursued careers in scientific research, teaching and medical writing, and upon completion you can also choose to progress to graduate entry medicine and dentistry courses.
- Professionally accredited by the Royal Society of Biology, so you can graduate with the skills and qualifications sought by employers.
- Using scientific and clinical approaches, this course provides you with an understanding of the human body in health and disease. Areas of specialism include immunology, physiology, nutrition, pathology and endocrinology.
- Gain industry experience through an optional sandwich-year placement, with past students securing roles at B. Braun Medical Limited, Merck, Sharp and Dohme.
- Add an international edge to your CV through our DMU Global initiative, which has seen Medical Science students consider preventative healthcare in Berlin, raise awareness of type 2 diabetes in Kentucky and perform a parasitological and public health research study in New York.
- Experienced academics and clinical experts will support you to build the skills required for careers in medical or scientific research, teaching, medical writing and industry. Our graduates have gone on to postgraduate study at DMU, as well as graduate entry medicine and dentistry courses.