The UK aerospace and aeronautical industry is the largest in Europe and the second largest in the world. The sector has seen consistent growth in recent years and supports a growing number of highly skilled, high-value roles in aircraft aerodynamics, wind turbine design and maintenance, aviation management, the defence sector, and aircraft maintenance, repair and operation services.
This broad-based engineering course aims to train the next generation of aerospace professionals by providing technical skills in key areas of aeronautical engineering, supplemented by topics in material sciences, digital manufacturing and management concepts. Our graduates will leave with the advanced technical know-how required to work in the aircraft industry, along with a solid understanding of relevant management concepts.
You will study core modules in Advanced Flight Dynamics, Advanced Computational Aerodynamics and Instrumentation, Sensor Networks and more, with the choice of optional modules including Aircraft Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul and Unmanned Aero Vehicle Design.
You will be supported by our academics and technicians in producing your final-semester dissertation exploring a relevant topic of your choice.
- Study specialist technical modules related to aeronautical engineering, as well as management modules, such as Engineering Business Environment, to prepare for work in a rapidly changing, globalised world.
- Access our instrumented low-speed wind tunnel and AIRFOX DISO flight simulator facilities to acquire experimental and theoretical skills relevant to aeronautics and wind tunnel testing.
- Learn and use software packages used in aeronautical engineering applications and research, such as MATLAB, ANSYS and OpenFOAM, which will give you the ability to work confidently in an industrial environment.
- Benefit from the research and industrial experience of our teaching staff who have worked in international research institutions, including the National Aeronautical Laboratories India, Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute Russia and AMST-Systemtechnik GmbH Austria.
- Become a member of our DMU Flight Club to design, build and fly unmanned aerial systems (UAS), with the opportunity to participate in an international UAS competition.
- Enhance your employability by choosing to apply for a year-long work placement* to gain valuable practical and professional experience. Past students on related engineering courses have undertaken placements with national and international companies including Airbus UK.
*Country restrictions apply