This is a year-long course that will help you improve your skills and knowledge across a wide range of art and design subjects, preparing you for your chosen degree or helping you decide which course to study.
Build a strong portfolio of work before you start your degree, so you can hit the ground running and realise your full potential. You will be inducted into at least 10 different workshops, exploring both traditional and contemporary disciplines and techniques.
You will also benefit from dedicated studio spaces and award-winning facilities featuring specialist craft and design workshops, including painting, sculpture, printmaking, digital art, graphic design, illustration, textiles, fashion, darkroom photography, 3D design and game art.
This course gives you the opportunity to specialise in pathways such as fine art, visual communication, 3D design, fashion and textiles and lens-based and digital media. Painting, sculpture, print, installation, multimedia, graphic design, computer graphics, game art, illustration, surface decoration, textiles, fashion, contour, footwear, furniture, product, theatre design, jewellery, spatial design, contextual studies and photography are among the many different topics you can explore.
- DMU is ranked in the top 15 for Art courses in the UK, according to the Guardian University Guide 2021.
- Workshop inductions provide a full introduction to woodwork, metalwork, jewellery, plaster, ceramics, laser cutting and 3D printing, fabric manipulation, wet photography (darkroom techniques), printmaking, textiles print, digital art, video and animation.
- Digital arts techniques classes are offered weekly and you will work with professional models in the life drawing classes in a purpose-built studio.
- Take part in organised study visits to cities such as London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Oxford and Cambridge.
- The award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space and the facilities to foster creative thinking, where ideas can develop and flourish for all of our art and design students.
- Once you have successfully completed the course, you will be eligible for direct entry onto all of our art and design degrees (subject to entry requirements). These range from Art and Architecture to Design Crafts to Fashion and Textiles.