Studying Architecture offers you the opportunity to pursue a career in an exciting, creative and fast-paced industry which hugely influences the world around us. On this course you’ll discover how to bring your visions and designs to life, with successful graduates progressing into rewarding careers which have the potential to improve and enhance the lives of countless people. With the knowledge gained as part of this degree, can witness your work turn into tangible creations that serve the communities around you.
You will learn about the history of architecture and design, alongside completing technical, practical and professional exercises relating to ethical architecture in the commercial world. You’ll have opportunities to undertake design projects in a range of spatial, social and topographical settings, from the smallest of residences and objects through to complex megacities and events.
This course is a professionally validated undergraduate degree which prepares students for a postgraduate degree in Architecture, which most graduates will progress to. Graduates pursue successful careers in non-professional pathways using their skills in creative design, strategic thinking, leadership and organisation. The course is on the Commonwealth Association of Architects’ approved courses list.
- This course is accredited by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and the Architects Registration Board (ARB), ensuring the content you study meets and exceeds the criteria set out by these professional bodies, with students also exempt from RIBA and ARB Part I examinations.
- This course benefits from global opportunities thanks to its accreditation with Lembaga Arkitek Malaysia (LAM), the Board of Architects Malaysia, which allows graduates to pursue a professional qualification in Malaysia. It is also approved by the Commonwealth Association of Architects, a membership organisation representing architects in Commonwealth countries, which provides access to an international network of schools for further study and better employment prospects.
- DMU’s Leicester School of Architecture - is only one of five schools of architecture in the world to win more than three RIBA Part II design awards in the past five years. It’s also one of the oldest architecture schools in the UK, established in 1897, allowing you to draw on a wealth of experience and expertise.
- Gain valuable international experience as part of your studies with our DMU Global programme. Previous trips have taken students overseas to work on live projects in Berlin in collaboration with Aedas, a leading international architecture and design practice. Students have also travelled to destinations such as Ahmedabad, India, where they designed and built homes to help those living in disadvantaged communities.
- Architecture at DMU is in the top 15 for ‘Graduate Prospects’ in the UK, according to The Complete University Guide 2022, many of our graduates have gone on to work for some of the best architectural practices in the UK and worldwide, including Heatherwick Studio, Make Architects and Shigeru Ban Architects.
- Benefit from the very latest facilities – dedicated multipurpose studios, CAD labs, workshops offering metal working and woodworking to digital printing and water-jet cutting and prototype workshops. Our award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space and the facilities to foster creative thinking and explore your design potential.
- We provide core workshop materials at no cost, and give cash awards – £150, £200 and £300 in years one, two and three respectively – to support personal materials/printing costs*.