Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), this course puts you at the forefront of specialist areas of electrical and electronic engineering and will help you master a skillset that meets industry needs. You will study a range of core topics, including Electronic Circuits and Systems and Embedded Systems, and choose from optional modules, such as Mobile Communication and Advanced Power Electronics and Applications, to suit your ambitions.
Whether you opt for the three-year BEng or four-year integrated master’s MEng, our experienced staff will further your understanding of electrical and electronic engineering principles, and will also develop your design, research and project management skills. In your third year you will focus on a substantial piece of individual research or product development work targeted to your interests, giving you the opportunity to showcase your understanding and skills.
Our dedicated facilities are divided into five main areas, each featuring experimental equipment – general electronics and assembly, digital electronics and microprocessor engineering, power electronics, control systems and communications engineering.
Graduates are working at national and multinational companies, including Airbus UK and Cummins UK, pursuing careers in electronic product design, radio frequency design and mobile communications, signal processing, control and power electronics, electronic control systems, telecommunications, military and aeronautical electronics.
- Accredited by IET, one of the world’s leading professional societies in the field with more than 150,000 members in 127 countries.
- Boost your skills with an integrated master’s. You can take this course as a three-year BEng (Hons) or a four-year MEng (Hons) degree, which will further your knowledge and help prepare you for industry, with the opportunity to work on an engineering project as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Our specialist laboratories, such as the Rohde & Schwarz embedded systems lab, and industry-standard software packages mean you will develop your skills and knowledge in facilities typically used in the engineering sector.
- Enhance your practical and professional skills by undertaking an optional placement year. Engineering students have previously undertaken roles at companies including Network Rail, Airbus UK and Caterpillar.
- Enrich your studies and expand your cultural horizons with DMU Global, our international experience programme. Previous students have visited automotive plants in Prague and explored skyscraper engineering in New York.
- Develop your skills and meet like-minded students by joining DMU’s Electronics Club. Previous projects include capturing footage from the edge of space using a hot air balloon carrying GPS tracking, environmental monitoring equipment, a camera and data loggers.
News stories/case studies:
The Engineers without Borders Engineering for People Design Challenge calls on students to think of ways they could solve real problems affecting some of the world’s poorest communities.