Established more than 20 years ago, this dynamic course has a reputation for applied research and outstanding teaching. You can tailor your learning by choosing from theoretical study options as well as creative and professional modules and will be supported throughout by a friendly teaching team of expert academics and industry professionals. You will not only be able to gain in-depth understanding of the media environment and its employment opportunities, but you’ll also have the opportunity to explore new dimensions of theory.
Your first year focuses on core concepts in media and communication and examines the notion of media cultures and everyday life. In your second and third years you can choose from a wide range of professional, academic and creative pathways in line with your interests and ambitions to create a degree that is both fascinating and relevant to your aspirations.
Modules range from Examining the Television Industry, Considering the Role of Gender and Identity in the Media, Broadcast Journalism, Sports Journalism, Audiences and Fandom, and Political Communication, through to Public Relations and Design and Production, which explores core theories and skills for graphic and web design. As this is a joint honours degree, you will study a mixture of modules from both of your chosen subjects, broadening the career options open to you.
Students also have the chance to contribute to our very own student media group, Demon Media, and put their skills into practice across multimedia platforms including a magazine, radio station, YouTube channel and website.
- Enhance your skillset and employability by combining your Media studies with another specialist subject to help develop a diverse range of skills to open up different career prospects.
- Join course-relevant groups and societies including the Media and Communication Society, Film Society, Media Discourse Group and reading groups, and take part in our student media group Demon Media, which comprises The Demon magazine, Demon FM radio station, Demon TV YouTube channel and The Demon website.
- Benefit from DMU’s strong links with local media partners including BBC Radio Leicester, community media organisations and Leicester’s independent arts and cinema complex, Phoenix Cinema. These close links can provide opportunities for work experience in real-world settings and cultural connections alongside your studies.
- Dedicated work placements help to enhance your practical and professional skills, with recent Media Joint placements undertaken at RootsCo Group Limited.
- Enjoy working in multimillion-pound industry-standard facilities. Our creative technology studios feature a host of audio recording equipment, broadcast-standard radio production studios and management systems, alongside standalone film and television studios equipped with multi-cameras, blue screen and green screen facilities.
First year teaching focuses on the modern media landscape where you will be encouraged to engage critically and creatively with digital, print and broadcast media as well as exploring the potential of visual media. In your second and third years you can choose from a wide range of professional, academic and creative pathways in line with your interests and ambitions to create a degree which is fascinating and relevant to your aspirations.
You can choose from theoretical options as well as from creative and professional modules and will be supported throughout your study by a friendly teaching team of media academics and industry professionals.