The Sport Management MSc programme explores the multi-faceted area of sport management, combining specialist sport modules with practical experience in the industry. You will develop the skills to excel in a broad range of roles that make sport organisations run and events happen, including within governing bodies, federations, clubs, sponsors, marketing, the media, government, or heritage organisations.
This course is ideal for individuals with a degree in sport (science, psychology and other sports disciplines), event management, marketing, media, business or humanities who wish to have a career in the sports industry.
You will explore a range of different sports and develop a critical perspective on contemporary themes such as ethical considerations, heritage and sport’s political, social, economic and cultural contexts. Areas of management that you will examine include marketing, leadership, governance and event organisation.
Practical experience working within a sport organisation is embedded into the programme and you will also be encouraged to volunteer at local, national, and international sporting events. We have excellent industry links and previous students have worked with Leicester Tigers, Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club, Leicester Riders’ Basketball Club and USA Bobsled and Skeleton and at the IAAF Indoor World Championships, British Rowing Indoor Championships, British Triathlon events and British Swimming Championships. Your learning will be enriched by DMU Global, where students have previously visited the Munich Olympic Park, Garmisch-Partenkirchen ski jump, and Allianz Arena.
- Study a range of sports to give you knowledge across the industry and develop the expertise that will enable you to work at a local, national and international level.
- Gain the skills and experience to be well-positioned for this competitive sector. You can get hands-on industry fieldwork experience and have the opportunity to investigate a real-world problem for a sporting organisation with a business or heritage focused project.
- Make valuable connections to kickstart your career with our links to high-profile sporting organisations including the USA Bobsled and Skeleton, Leicester City Football Club, Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club, Leicester Tigers Rugby Football Club, and the British Basketball League.
- Develop a critical perspective on key issues impacting global sport by exploring ethics, governance and sport’s contemporary cultural contexts.
- Through DMU Global you will contextualise your learning, with opportunities to visit sport heritage sites and major sport venues in Germany and Austria.
- You can benefit from mentorship by sport industry professionals and insight from guest speakers who have recently included 2018 Olympian Jackie Narracott, a member of Under Armour’s global events team, Matthew Hochberg, the founder of Hochberg Sports Marketing in the USA and Lisa Allan, Competition Manager for the International Judo Federation.
- Learn in small groups and be part of a strong community in which students from across the globe bring their different perspectives, enhancing your international outlook.
- Enjoy opportunities with DMUsport which offers over 30 sports clubs and activities, as well as a comprehensive package of support for successful DMU Sports Scholars.