This course will challenge you to explore the diverse and novel application of textiles and push the boundaries of textile design and production. We aim to equip you with the creative skills to enter the industry with an innovative vision for the application of textile materials and the advanced technical expertise to design, construct and test garments in a specialist area.
We encourage applications from students from either design or technical backgrounds, and previous students on this course have created some of the most exciting, pioneering work by drawing on their wide-ranging areas of expertise. We have seen an engineering graduate using lasers to enhance the design process, a mechanical design engineer investigating the performance of lightweight synthetic motorcycle clothing and a contour design graduate developing clothing for amputees.
Sustainability is embedded into the curriculum. You will critically examine the ethical and environmental impact of design and explore a variety of materials and processes. Our range of optional modules span from real-world entrepreneurial skills of marketing and business planning to responsible design and manufacture.
You will learn in a supportive environment with a host of specialist facilities. Our team of academic staff and skilled technicians have experience working in industry and provide expert knowledge across garment and product technology, intimate apparel, textile technology and innovation, fabric construction, and sustainable and ethical practices. You will have the chance to work closely with industry professionals, enhancing your learning with opportunities to connect with a range of businesses, including those focusing on textile product research and development, innovative material development and sustainable design.
- Consider all aspects of textiles, from design through to construction and testing, developing the advanced creative and technical skills for a career in textiles or associated industries.
- Tailor the course to your career aspirations by focusing on a specialist area of textiles, or selecting optional modules to gain professional skills for the creative entrepreneur.
- Learn from our expert teaching team, who are all active in their own field and who maintain links with the commercial sector, ensuring they teach real-world, relevant skills.
- Commercial visits to textile technology experts and guest lectures from sector professionals enhance the curriculum and give you industry insight.
- You can choose to undertake a year-long work placement, gaining valuable experience to enhance and embed your practical and professional skills.
- Our award-winning Vijay Patel building has been designed to provide the space and facilities where all of our art and design students can develop their ideas and flourish.
- Benefit from facilities include textile testing, colouration and research laboratories (physical performance testing, fibres, yarns and fabric dyeing and finishing), sample fabric construction (knit, weave, print, 3D print), and garment and sewn product manufacture.