With a flexible curriculum to accommodate your creative ambitions, this course will prepare you to take a critical position and forge a successful career in the globalised creative world. The key business skills that you will gain - project management, marketing, website design, branding and business planning – make this course the ideal platform for creative entrepreneurs to launch their own design businesses and consultancies, or for those who hope to take up senior roles in design strategy or brand management. The course is designed for students with a good working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite applications, such as Photoshop, Acrobat and InDesign, and will develop these technical skills to an advanced level.
You will select a specialist area of study from diverse options, ranging from retail, museum and exhibition, and product design, to interior, footwear, visual communication, and design innovation. Learn to devise creative solutions to complex issues surrounding sustainability and explore the role of design and innovation as a driver for change.
The opportunity to work on live projects will enhance your professional portfolio, and you will complete an individual major project (either creative practice based or research focused) which runs throughout the course, drawing on the professional expertise and specialist knowledge of our academics.
Throughout the course we will empower you to experiment boldly and support you to take risks. You will be encouraged challenge conventions and develop innovative approaches to tackling contemporary design challenges, with the cutting-edge facilities for you to refine your talents and realise your creative visions.
- Specialise in varied design areas, from retail, museum and exhibition, and product design, to interior, footwear, visual communication, and design innovation.
- With a year-long creative major project, you can tailor your course to develop your personal interests and support your career aspirations, or establish the design concept for your own business.
- Gain expert knowledge from visiting guest lecturers and have the opportunity to work on real-world live projects set by professionals from industry, museum, charity and arts organisations.
- Join a community that is working together to co-design new ways of thinking to redefine the future of creative practice.
- With an optional year-long work placement you can gain valuable experience to further enhance your practical and professional skills.
- Our award-winning Vijay Patel building has been designed to provide the space and facilities where all of our art and design students can develop their ideas and flourish.
- The School of Design’s close-knit community of postgraduate students and staff creates a supportive learning environment for design students from around the world.