Fine Art is the creation and the study of visual art. It educates and inspires students to pursue a career as an artist or to follow a wide range of other creative practices and career pathways associated with art and creativity.
Our course gives you the flexibility to experiment across a range of specialist disciplines which include drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, video, photography, digital media and installation art.
When you join us, you will study options in painting, sculpture, printmaking, video and photography, while also studying drawing and contextual and professional studies. As you progress into year two you’ll develop your individual studio practice in one or more of these areas. You’ll then have the opportunity to explore a range of approaches to fine art via projects, workshops and self-directed study.
In the final year you’ll develop your individual creative practice, culminating in an exciting exhibition that is part of DMU’s Festival of Creativity.
- DMU is ranked in the top 15 for Art courses in the UK, according to the Guardian University Guide 2021.
- We embed employability and professional practice throughout the three years of study and cover a wide range of topics that include an introduction to studio practice, contextual and professional studies, and art practice and presentation.
- Benefit from access to a dedicated Fine Art studio space throughout the course and from workshops covering the practical aspects of printmaking, sculpture, photography, video, digital media techniques, painting and the skills associated with contemporary approaches to drawing.
- Join the list of Fine Art students who have exhibited at the Handmade Festival, the Two Queens gallery, the Attenborough Arts Centre and a host of other prestigious venues across both the UK and internationally.
- Our Fine Art graduates leave DMU qualified to work in a wide variety of careers in fields including arts administration, conservation and restoration, art therapy, and film and television production.
- Our students can enhance their studies with a trip abroad through DMU Global. So far we’ve visited destinations including New York, Cyprus and Venice.
- The award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space and the facilities to foster creative thinking, where ideas can develop and flourish for all of our art and design students.
- We provide core workshop materials at no cost, and give cash awards – £150, £200 and £300 in years one, two and three respectively – to support personal materials/printing costs*.