Professionals with the ability to interrogate datasets by applying analytical techniques to describe and predict business performance are in high demand worldwide. Designed to equip you with the technical expertise needed for a career in industry, this course will prepare you for roles in analytics by developing your technical expertise and professional skills in business intelligence.
The first semester modules focus on core topic areas such as statistics, database design and programming, enabling you to gain insights into large multivariate datasets and apply your problem-solving abilities to explore business opportunities and challenges faced by data scientists when using business intelligence systems.
In the second semester you will apply your technical knowledge and further progress your analytical expertise by focusing on specific data science subject areas such as big data, data mining and business intelligence. You will also be encouraged to demonstrate your technical and analytical abilities in response to real-world problems during your final-semester individual project.
Our graduates leave with sought-after skills for business intelligence and data mining roles within any field of data science. Opportunities also exist for further academic study towards a doctorate degree and a career in research.
- With our 50-year history of teaching computing, you will benefit from established academic expertise, as well as gaining insight into real-world problem solving from our SAS-accredited staff.
- Enhance your employability by developing substantial knowledge and skills in the deployment of SAS industry-standard software.
- Sharpen skills by using software and techniques such as Apache Spark and the Hadoop Distributed File System to demonstrate data mining and machine learning algorithms.
- Access dedicated computing laboratories, fully equipped with HP dual-boot and all-in-one computers and a high-performance file server.
- Gain an insight into real-world issues and solutions through our research groups. You will have the opportunity to attend guest lectures and seminars to expand your understanding of the impact of current research.
- Boost your career prospects through an optional one-year placement year in industry*, where you will be able to build contacts and transferable skills. Past students have completed placements with management consultancies, retailers and companies including Bosch Thermotechnology.
*Country restrictions apply