This course is for students with a product, furniture or a directly-related 3D design degree who wish to build on their expertise, specialist knowledge and employability. You will develop an advanced understanding of design practice, learn about research methodologies, explore service design and the ways that emerging digital technologies can enhance your work. The flexibility of the curriculum allows you to create a distinct programme of learning that is focused on your individual interests and ambitions, and equip you with the practical commercial skills for a successful career in the creative industries.
Within the course, you can choose from two specialisms. On the Design Practice specialism, you will explore design innovation and the creation of innovative products that fulfil the users’ wants and needs. Alternatively, our Design and Business specialism focuses on commercial practice, research methods and product design – all valuable skills that you would need to forge a career as a creative entrepreneur.
Your studies will culminate in a self-directed design project, during which you will explore real world product design processes such as external validation, prototyping, testing, technical definition and specification.
In all your designs and processes we will empower you to experiment boldly and encourage you to take risks. We aim to develop independent learners who can take their own personal and critical approach to tackling complex design challenges. Access to our sophisticated facilities, including industry-standard vector-based and three-dimensional modelling packages, will enable you to push design boundaries and realise your creative visions.
- Our flexible learning environment allows you to choose from an impressive range of specialist modules to develop your own personal and professional interests.
- Learn from an expert teaching team who are active in their own field and maintain their professional skillset, ensuring you develop the most relevant skills for a career in the industry.
- Join a community that is working together to co-design new ways of thinking to redefine the future of creative practice.
- With an optional year-long work placement you can gain valuable experience to further enhance your practical and professional skills.
- The award-winning Vijay Patel Building provides both the space to foster creative thinking as well as top-class facilities, giving you access to a range of dedicated workshops and a host of specialist equipment.