Due to significant demand for this programme, and taking into consideration capacity constraints with practical placements, applications to Speech and Language Therapy for September 2021 entry are now closed. However, there are still options available for you to consider. Speech and language therapists provide treatment and support that improves patients’ lives. They address speech, language and communication problems as well as assisting with eating and drinking difficulties.
Much of their work involves close collaboration with teachers, psychologists and other health professionals, along with supporting patients themselves and/or their carers. Our work placements and work-based learning opportunities mean that you’ll be developing these collaborative professional skills throughout your degree course. By joining us, you’ll study a range of topics including introduction to phonetics and phonology, communication disability and psychology, professional practice, and transition to the workplace. You’ll learn what’s involved in developing individual treatment programmes and providing patients with tailored support.
From September 2020, all speech and language therapy students, will receive at least £5,000 a year with up to £3,000 additional funding available. Further information, including eligible health professional courses, can be found here.
- Our course is approved by the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists and graduates are eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council to practise as a professional.
- Build your essential clinical and professional skills through varied placement opportunities in nurseries, schools, clinics, hospitals, day centres and with home visits.
- Our strong links and integrated work placements within NHS England Midlands and East and independent service providers in the area ensure a dynamic and clinically relevant curriculum.
- Our graduates have become speech and language therapists for the NHS, charitable institutions and private healthcare companies.
- Gain valuable international experience as part of your studies with our DMU Global programme where students visited schools and community groups in India, supported deaf children in The Gambia and taught English to children in Bangkok.
- DMU has achieved the top Gold award, the highest ranking possible, under the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), indicating the outstanding learning and teaching on offer the university (Office for Students).