In this short course, participants will be asked to consider several dominant contemporary topics (such as the relationship between technology and ethics, current and future social transformations, new working scenarios, the future of food, access against ownership, inclusive design, etc.). Guided through the process of critical reflection, they will be asked to ideate and implement design scenarios with the aim of offering a glimpse of how things can be.
STRUCTURE – SUBJECTS:
- Design contexts
- Approaching design – critical analysis
- Embedding relevancy in the design process
- Designing for a better future
- From ideation to proposals
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Analyze contemporary topics from critical perspective to inform the design process;
- Develop an articulated design context based on research;
- Formulate a conceptual proposal for a product, service, space or architecture that responds to a new design context;
- Apply a design method in a process that reframes the role of design;
- Appraise how design can positively impact our future.