The MSc program in Exploration and Applied Geophysics has the objective of preparing student with a solid background on classical physics and mathematics the limitations of the geophysical methods of investigation. They will be able to use the existing physical, mathematical, and computational methodologies that together the related geosciences and engineering methods, allow for an effective exploration of the Earth, at various spatial and temporal scales, for either scientific or application purposes.
Key Learning Outcomes:
Graduates of MSc in Exploration and Applied Geophysics will acquire:
- A basic complete education in physics, mathematics, and information technology;
- Additional knowledge in geology, physics, and mathematics, focused on the geophysical phenomenology which constitutes the foundation of the geophysical prospecting and exploration methods;
- Knowledge and training in signal analysis and geophysical data processing;
- An adequate mastery of the geophysical exploration methods and of the data analysis and interpretation techniques applied to the search for energy sources, to the estimation of the physical properties and of the structural features of the subsurface and of the investigated materials;
- The ability to develop and to make use of geophysical and mathematical tools applied to the study of the geophysical phenomena, to the exploration and exploitation of natural resources, to the prevention of natural and environmental risks, to the exploration of the Earth geological structures, to the investigations for the planning of engineering works and to the non-destructive testing for the conservation and safety of buildings and for the underground facilities;
- Laboratory and field training with hands-on use of geophysical instrumentations, of digital processing and modeling tools, of remote sensing and topographic techniques and of visualization and interpretation tools;
- The ability to plan and to perform geophysical investigations, either field works and processing and interpretation works, interacting with the other professionals operating in the fields of geosciences and engineering, selecting the geophysical method(s) optimal either from a technical and an economical point of view;
- The ability of writing and speaking at least one European Community language besides Italian, also with reference to professional lexicons.
Occupational Profile/s of Graduates:
The graduates of the Master of Science in Applied Geophysics Exploration and may exercise exploration geophysics, analytical and numerical treatment of the data geophysical, mathematical and numerical modelling of geophysical phenomena, while developing a strong interaction with other disciplines of geosciences and engineering. The acquired skills will support the integration of graduates in the areas of oil companies and the exploration and production of renewable energy, service companies and geophysical consulting freelance, public research institutions, and government institutions for monitoring and environmental protection.
Access to further study:
The Laurea Magistrale degree in EXPLORATION AND APPLIED GEOPHYSICS allows the graduate to compete for entry into a Third Cycle programme/doctoral school.